Apr 16, 2014

London Part 3 - Exhibition "Artist Textiles Picasso to Warhol" at FTM

As soon as I read about this exhibition beginning of this year I knew I had to see it. I was trying to find out if the exhibition would travel somewhere near me, but it did not look like it. So I was very excited when I decided to go to London and see it there at the Fashion and Textile Museum.
It is a very long post today and I show you almost all pictures I took. I was allowed to take pictures inside the museum but without a flash...so I did my best working over the pictures to brighten them up a bit.


FTM London Artist Textiles
Scarf "White Trellis" Graham Sutherland for Ascher Ltd. 1946 (Source)

Dali's design is derived from a sequence in "Destino", Dali's animation for Disney in 1946.
FTM London Artist Textiles
Scarf "Number Please" Salvador Dali 1947 for Wesley Simpson

Dali's designs of the 40's had a wide influence on textile design in the USA for the next 10 years. 
FTM London Artist Textiles
"Spring Rain" Salvador Dali, Schiffer Prints NY 1949


FTM London Artist textiles
Alastair Morton, screen printed fashion textile for a summer dress, Horrockses Fashions Ltd., c.1949


FTM London Artist Textiles
Victor Vasarely for Edinburgh Weavers, 1962

FTM London Artist Textiles
Eduardo Paolozzi and Nigel Henderson, "Portobello" c. 1955

And who would have known this design is from Miró... 
FTM Artist Textiles
"Farmer's Dinner", Joan Miró, Fuller Fabrics NY, 1955

FTM London Artist Textiles
Raoul Daffy, "Les Maronniers", Roller-printed cotton fabric, Fuller Fabrics NY, 1955

I also would not have guessed that Picasso did this one...
FTM London Artist Textiles
Pablo Picasso, "The Rooster", Roller-printed cotton fabric, Fuller Fabrics NY, 1955

FTM London Artist Textiles
Pablo Picasso, "Fish", Roller-printed cotton fabric, Fuller Fabrics NY, 1955

A freebie to students and young people attending the Berlin Peace Festival 1951...imagine you would own one of them...
Pablo Picasso, screen printed cotton scarf design for the Berlin Peace Festival 1951

FTM London Artist Textiles
John Hull, "Gay Facade", Roller-printed cotton fashion textile, M. Lowenstein&Sons Inc. NY, 1952

FTM London Artist Textiles
Ken Scott, "A Fish is a Fish is a Fish", ca. 1951

FTM London Artist Textiles
Pablo Picasso, "Musical Fawn", Bloomcraft Fabrics Inc. NY, circa 1963

Pablo Picasso, "Posters of Picasso", Bloomcraft Fabrics Inc. NY, 1963 

FTM London Artist Textiles
Louis Le Brocquy, "Flight", Screen-printed linen furnishing textile, John Mc Guire Ltd., Dublin 1954


FTM London Artist Textiles
Andy Warhol,  "Happy Butterfly Day", Screen-printed cotton fashion textile, mid-1950s

This fabric was also available as a wallpaper...imagine this for a children's room...wow !
FTM London Artist Textiles
John Rombola, "Circus", Patterson Fabrics, 1956

FTM London Artist Textiles
John Rombola, "Parade", Patterson Fabrics, 1957

And I fell in love with Saul Steinberg's designs...
FTM London Artist Textiles
Saul Steinberg, "Roller Coaster", Regulated Cottons Inc. NY,  c.1952

FTM London Artist Textiles
Saul Steinberg, "Paddington Station", Regulated Cottons Inc. NY, c.1952

FTM London Artist Textiles
Ben Nicholson, "Princess", Hand block printed cotton, circa 1933

I hope you enjoyed this blog post as much as I do showing you bits and pieces from the exhibition. If you are near London you should really consider going. It is still running until May 17th, 2014. Or maybe just buy the book Textile Design.

Happy Thursday !

3 comments:

  1. Wish I could be there too for the exhibition! But I am contended too just looking at the pictures you took. I like many of these and my favourites are Saul Steinberg and John Rombola... gorgeous style and illustration! I am sure you were very inspired! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post Maike! Such gorgeous patterns, especially the fabric by Alastair Morton and John Rombola's "Parade" is beautiful, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post Maike! Such gorgeous patterns, especially the fabric by Alastair Morton and John Rombola's "Parade" is beautiful, I love it!

    ReplyDelete